2013 HOLIDAY HOURS -12/24 CLOSED AT NOON
12/26 Thur - Administrative Asst 9am - 1pm No inspections
12/27 Fri - Administrative Asst 9am - 12noon No inspections
12/31 - CLOSED AT NOON
The Sturbridge Board of Health (BoH), like all local Boards of Health in Massachusetts, is required by state statutes and regulations to perform many duties relative to the protection of public health including the control of disease, the promotion of sanitary living conditions and the protection of the environment from damage and pollution. This is accomplished through the inspection of food establishments, public accommodations (hotels/motels/inns), housing, pools and beaches; the investigation of communicable diseases and nuisances; and the oversight of solid waste management and recycling. Many of the board’s responsibilities are also coordinated with housing and plumbing inspections and the department of public works as well as other regional and state agencies.
The board meets the first and third Mondays of each month, typically at the Center Office Building 301 Main St., 2nd Floor at 7PM. The BoH agenda and meeting locations are posted on the town main page under town news in accordance with the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law.
Mosquito Awareness and Precautions
The Central Massachusetts Mosquito Control Project (CMMCP) is a regional effort whose goal is to reduce mosquito exposure to the public, and the potential for disease transmission by mosquitoes, by utilizing proven, sound mosquito control techniques.
CMMCP personnel will be in the community to investigate resident's complaints about mosquitoes on September 5th, 11th and 12th.
Additional mosquito awareness information can be found here.
Latex Paint - It's not hazardous waste - Latex paint is not accepted with hazardous waste but does need to be disposed of properly. Instructions can be found at this link.
Recycling Center stickers
- New stickers may be picked up at the Board of Health office from 10:00AM - 1:00PM.
- Two plate numbers for one household will be placed on one sticker at no charge. A third plate number or a second sticker per household costs $20.
- Any change in plate number will require sticker trade-in at the Board of Health office hours Monday through Thursday 9:30 AM to 1:30 PM and Friday 9:00 AM to noon or a fee applies.
- Sticker Applications may be mailed in with copy of vehicle registration and self-addressed envelope to: Board of Health, 301 Main St., Sturbridge, MA 01566
- For a Recycling Center Sticker application that can be mailed to the Board of Health office click here.
- One Day passes are available at the Recycling Center, bring proof of residency, car registration, & $5 to the Recycling Center Operator, T, Th or Sat. 7:30 - 2:30
Trash - The Sturbridge Pay as You Throw (PAYT) Program
Sturbridge began a Pay as You Throw (PAYT) program October 1st 2011. Trash (non-recyclables) must be in official Town of Sturbridge PAYT bags.
PAYT Bags are available at:
- Fred's Variety - 25 Brookfield Rd, Fiskdale
- Micknuck’s Market Place - 570 Main St, Fiskdale
- Shaw's - 178 Main St, Sturbridge (Rt 131)
- Stop & Shop at Hobbs Brook Plaza - 100 Charlton Rd/Rt 20, Sturbridge
- A roll of five 30 gallon bags is $5 and five 15 gallon bags are available for $2.50.
Recycling Center Hours
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 7:00 AM - 2:45 PM
Household hazardous waste accepted on
the 3rd Saturday of the month, March through November