The Board of Health has part-time clerical and administrative support staff. The Health Agent often has field inspections, so it is always best to call the office first at 347-2504 before coming in to save yourself a trip in case the office is not staffed at that moment. Thank you for your understanding.
Recycling Center "stickers" are now HangTags which have been mailed (as of March 27th, 2015) to all residents in Sturbridge. Please self-register by filling in your license plate numbers on the hang tag and by filling in the information on the "tear-off" ticket on the bottom of the hang tag. Return the completed ticket to the Recycling Center the next time that you enter the facility. It is not required for you to make a special trip to the Town Hall to do this. Thank you for Recycling!
The Sturbridge Board of Health (BoH), like all local Boards of Health in Massachusetts, is required by state statutes and regulations to perform many duties relative to the protection of public health including the control of disease, the promotion of sanitary living conditions and the protection of the environment from damage and pollution. This is accomplished through the inspection of food establishments, on-site wastewater systems, wells, public accommodations (hotels/motels/inns), housing, pools and beaches; the investigation of communicable diseases and nuisances; and the oversight of solid waste management and recycling. Many of the board’s responsibilities are also coordinated with housing and plumbing inspections and the department of public works as well as other regional and state agencies.
The Board meets the first and third Mondays of each month, typically, at the Center Office Building 301 Main St., 2nd Floor at 5:30PM. The BoH agenda and meeting locations are posted on the town main page under town news in accordance with the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law.
Mosquito Awareness and Precautions
The Central Massachusetts Mosquito Control Project (CMMCP) is a regional effort whose goal is to reduce mosquito exposure to the public, and the potential for disease transmission by mosquitoes, by utilizing proven, sound mosquito control techniques.
CMMCP personnel will be in the community to investigate resident's complaints about mosquitoes in the Fall and Spring of each year.
Additional mosquito awareness information can be found here.
Latex Paint - It's not hazardous waste - Latex paint is not accepted with hazardous waste but does need to be disposed of properly. Instructions can be found at this link.
Recycling Center stickers
- LIGHT GREEN STICKERS THAT SAY "Expiring Apr 2013" HAVE BEEN AUTOMATICALLY RENEWED THROUGH APRIL OF 2015.
- THERE IS NO NEED TO COME TO THE TOWN BUILDING FOR A NEW "STICKER" - EVERYONE WILL RECEIVE NEW HANG-TAG IN THE MAIL.
- Two plate numbers for one household will be placed on one tag at no charge. A third plate number or a second hangtag per household costs $20.
- Any change in plate number will require tag trade-in at the Recycling Center Tuesday and Thursdays. The cost is $5. Additional hangtags are $20.
- Sticker Applications may be mailed in with copy of vehicle registration and self-addressed envelope to: Board of Health, 301 Main St., Sturbridge, MA 01566
- For a Recycling Center Sticker application that can be mailed to the Board of Health office click here.
- One Day passes are available at the Recycling Center, bring proof of residency, car registration, & $5 to the Recycling Center Operator, T, Th or Sat. 7:30 - 2:30
Trash - The Sturbridge Pay as You Throw (PAYT) Program
Sturbridge began a Pay as You Throw (PAYT) program October 1st 2011. Trash (non-recyclables) must be in official Town of Sturbridge PAYT bags.
PAYT Bags are available at:
- Fred's Variety - 25 Brookfield Rd, Fiskdale
- Micknuck’s Market Place - 570 Main St, Fiskdale
- Shaw's - 178 Main St, Sturbridge (Rt 131)
- Stop & Shop at Hobbs Brook Plaza - 100 Charlton Rd/Rt 20, Sturbridge
- A roll of five 30 gallon bags is $5 and five 15 gallon bags are available for $2.50.
Recycling Center Hours
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday 7:00 AM - 2:45 PM
Household hazardous waste accepted on
the 3rd Saturday of the month, March through November